Monday, May 22, 2006

The Big Blog Change

Sometimes it takes me a while to make a needed change. I get complacent, stuck-in-a-rut, don't want to take the time to learn something new, don't see why a thing needs fixing if it ain't broke, or if it does need fixing I figure it ain't so broke it can't wait another day, or two, or more.

But then, suddenly, one day something will jolt me out of my rut and I'm off like a rocket. No one can slow me down. Nothing will do but I make the change and make it quick. I don't have time to to shop around, carefully weigh options, shop around some more, weigh a few more options. That feels like indecision, something I hate.

It's also delay of gratification. When I get excited about a change, I want it right now, not later. Delay of gratification is for mature adults, not me.

Well, that's what happened with this blog change. For some time I've known there are many advantages to a real blog (permalinks, RSS feeds, etc.), and that the manual method I'd been using was clunky to say the least. But I kept putting off the change, kept lumbering along in my rut--then BAM--my site went down for a few days, I couldn't update it, therefore found myself with time on my hands to make the change. And when that happened, complacency was shouldered out of the way by impetuousness.

It was impetuousness that caused me to immediately run with Radio Userland yesterday, before I discovered it would not work for me. Then I did some research (quickly, of course) and that's how I landed here at Blogger, which is simple (and quick) to use, just the way I like it.

At some point, more change will be necessary. I'd like to customize the appearance, for instance. Also, I'll have to figure out a way to integrate the blog with my main site. But that can wait a day or two, or more. For now it will suffice to have a link at the top of my website (which is now functioning normally, by the way) pointing to this blog. And, of course, you can now get my blog by subscription ...