Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mystery of the Martian Gas Pumps

DREAM: Big trip to Mars ... upon arrival, I am surprised to find that the barren red desert occupies only a small part of the planet ... Mars is lush with vegetation and animal life same as Earth: birds, dogs, cattle, sheep, etc. and humans who of all things speak English ... amazing coincidence ... the men wear overalls and work in the fields ... they raise the same crops as on Earth, wheat, cotton, corn, etc. ... but there are no cities, only scattered rural ramshackle towns ... nothing made of concrete or brick, all the houses and other buildings made of wood ... no sidewalks, only beat-up old boardwalks ... and no paved roads, only dirt roads and horses pulling old rusty cars without engines ... the cars are look Earth-made, late 1940s vintage ... I see a Ford ... this can't be a coincidence ... my suspicions are confirmed when I see a run-down service station with retro gas pumps of the same era, late 40s, long unused, broken ... I get out my camera to take a picture of the gasp pumps, but am accosted by the local sheriff, a grinning Andy Taylor type who tells me no picture-taking is allowed ... why? ... he stops grinning and grits his teeth, "because it ain't none of your business where we come from" ... I back away, continue down the dirt street ... the women, I notice, wear long dresses FLDS-style ... then I realize that, crazy as it seems, there can be only one explanation ... these are polygamous Mormons who somehow made their way here years ago and terraformed the planet ... amazing to think ... long before there was a space program, the Mormons got here first ...