Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Six Days and Counting

Well, here I am, typing on my brand-new laptop. Something else new: I now have wireless capability. Which means that, for the first time, I am able to blog from bed. Which is where I am now, in bed.

This is a major breakthrough for me, because it means that I can now blog in my sleep. So, look out world …

Just one of many recent life changes for Old Mack. Month before last, I retired from my day job at the University of Texas. And now, I am preparing to travel, for the first time, to Europe.

This trip will occur in less than a week. I will be traveling in the company of my daughter to London, where we will spend a week, then travel to Amsterdam to spend five more days before flying back to Dallas.

Throughout the trip (internet connections and logistical issues permitting) I will be describing my adventures on this blog and posting photos from my new digital camera. So, please stay tuned.

How do I feel about the trip? Well … I am excited … it's the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to see Europe, it’s quality time with my wonderful daughter Chandra, it’s a turning point in my life, it’s so many things … and it’s also somewhat daunting … the idea of a 7-8 hour flight across the great Atlantic Ocean to a strange land … me, take such a flight? me, who’s never left the North American continent, and very rarely strayed from the Southwest?! … YIKES!!! … and be away from my home and Diane … gulp! … can I do this? …

Six days and counting …